We know that lightning is very dangerous and that it can destroy the environment or your property when it strikes with a powerful force. That is why it is important to protect ourselves from lightning and to prevent the dangers of it from destroying our property and environment. Technology is so advanced that we have found ways to prevent the dangers of lightning which are lightning protection systems. Lightning protection systems are in use on thousands of buildings, homes, factories and towers. Lightning damages can cost homes and business a lot of money to repair all the damages that is why it is important to have lightning protectors to protect not only ourselves but also protect out properties and environment.
What a lightning protection system should include:
A lightning protection system should include all of the following elements, which work together to prevent lightning damage.
- Air Terminals (Lightning Rods)
- Braided Conductor (Cable)
- Bonds To Metallic Bodies
- Ground Rods Or Ground Plates
- Surge Arrestors
These are the important instruments that are used to install a lightning protector. Shock waves created by lightning discharge can blow out walls, shatter nearby glass and plaster. These instruments can protect a building from being destroyed by lightning and prevent critical injuries.
Damages to electrical appliance.
Electrical appliances also need protection because they can also get strike by lightning. Electrical Appliances such as phones, televisions, microwaves, lamps as well as washing machines. These appliances are not easy to replace because some of them are very expensive so they also need to be protected from lightning.
All buildings must have two groundings as widely separated as possible, preferably at diagonally opposite corners if perimeter distance around the building at ground level is 250 feet or less. If building perimeter is between 250 feet and 350 feet, then three groundings are required. If building is between 350 feet and 450 feet, then four groundings. Lightning Protection Systems are applied to metal covered buildings because cables have to be free of sharp turns.
The most important fact is that when lightning strikes you need to avoid being in an unsafe place at the wrong time. No one really knows when lightning is going to strike and how much danger you can be in when it does strike. It is also important to stay indoors, avoid electrical appliances, water pipes and stay away from walls where electrical wiring is present.
Power Quality Company.
Power Quality Company provides services that are sufficient and they have tools and equipment of high quality for lightning protection. They want to bring awareness about the importance of having lightning protectors.
It is important for employers and employees to be safe at all times. Working in a safe environment reduces the risk of any injuries in the work place whether it is in a corporate environment or on a construction site. This is also in our constitution No. 85 of 1993: Occupational Health and Safety as amended by Occupational Health and Safety Amendment Act, No. 181 of 1993.
To provide for the health and safety of persons at work and for the health and safety of persons in connection with the use of plant and machinery; the protection of persons other than persons at work against hazards to health and safety arising out of or in connection with the activities of persons at work; to establish an advisory council for occupational health and safety; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
Health and workplace safety tips
- Wear protective equipment to suit the task. When working in a construction site or workshop or with heavy and dangerous equipment it is important to wear a safety gear at all times to avoid injuries. Here are some of the safety gears that one can wear when working in an unsafe environment gear such as earplugs, earmuffs, hard hat, safety goggles, gloves or full-face mask.
- Alcohol and drugs should be avoided at all times especially when you are working with dangerous equipment one needs to be sober and very cautious because one cannot be under any alcohol influence while working with dangerous equipment.
- Always use mechanical aids when you are trying to lift or carry a heavy object, use a wheelbarrow, conveyor belt, crane or forklift. This can prevent a critical injury.
- Take regular breaks. Every employee is entitled to take a break staying fresh and alert will help you avoid injury or burnout. Taking a break also keeps your energy levels high and you stay positive and motivated.
- Prevent falling objects. When working with dangerous equipment it is very vital that they are kept in safe places or in an area where they will not fall or cause any injuries. Every tool needs to be put appropriately and neat.
- Clear clutter. When an area is cluttered, there are high chances of getting an injury. Workers need more space to work and they need to be able to move around without disturbing one another or breaking any equipment.
Power Quality Company provides health and safety services. Their mission is to inform and remind people about the importance of working in a healthy and safe environment.